The National Association of Student Loan Lawyers (NASLL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit professional association devoted to the interests of private-practice attorneys who handle student loan matters, and to promote justice and relief for all student loan borrowers.
NASLL focuses on supporting private practice attorneys in several ways:
- Providing educational programming for association members on critical student loan matters such as legal and policy developments, program implementation, and student loan reforms.
- Supplying a forum for members to communicate with each other, network, and engage in information-sharing to better advocate for their clients.
- Advocating for association members in key forums and before important agencies.
- Acting as a liaison between private practice attorneys and major players in the student loan space including the U.S. Department of Education, student loan legal advocacy and consumer protection groups, and other nonprofit associations focusing on related practice areas (such as FDCPA and bankruptcy) and other constituents such as legal aid attorneys.
NASLL is a new organization, but we are hitting the ground running, particularly given all of the recent developments in the student loan space including student loan forgiveness, sweeping new bankruptcy policy reforms, and new regulations that will impact nearly every aspect of the federal student loan system. Here’s what
NASLL has been up to so far:
- Posting official comments in response to proposed regulations by the U.S. Department of Education to overhaul Revised Pay As You Earn (REPAYE), a popular income-driven repayment plan.
- Liaising with Education Department officials on implementation of legislation designed to protect borrowers from unauthorized access to student aid data, while advocating for the needs of practitioners who work with student loan borrowers and need to access to their aid data.
- Developing educational programming for this spring and summer in anticipation of major student loan legal and policy developments.
NASLL’s founding board members are the following:
- President: Joshua Cohen, Esq.
- Vice President: Karen Cody-Hopkins, Esq.
- Treasurer: Edward Boltz, Esq.
- Secretary, Adam S. Minsky, Esq.
- Director At Large: Stanley Tate, Esq.